Sunday, February 20, 2005

 

Bush in his own words (1998)

From the NYTimes: In Secretly Taped Conversations, Glimpses of the Future President

John Ashcroft would be a "very good Supreme Court pick" or a "fabulous" vice president.

Preparing to meet Christian leaders in September 1998, "As you said, there are some code words. There are some proper ways to say things, and some improper ways."

He worried that allegations of cocaine use would surface in the campaign..."I haven't denied anything."

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."

And he is cocky at times: "It's me versus the world. The good news is, the world is on my side. Or more than half of it."

[O]n the eve of Mr. Bush's re-election [as Texas governor]: "The top three offices right below me will be the first time there has been a Republican in that slot since the Civil War. Isn't that amazing? And I hate to be a braggart, but they are going to win for one reason: me."

When Mr. Wead warned him that power corrupts: not to worry, "I have got a great wife. And I read the Bible daily. The Bible is pretty good about keeping your ego in check."

He told Mr. Robison: "Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I'm not going to kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?" The Christian Coalition "uses gays as the enemy. It's hard to distinguish between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality, however." "I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays."

"The [Christian] coalition wants America strong and wants the American flag flying overseas, not the pale blue of the U.N."

talking about Mr. Bush's "immature" past, Mr. Bush said, "That's part of my schtick, which is, look, we have all made mistakes."

Mr. Bush could hardly contain his disdain for Mr. Gore:"I may have to get a little rough for a while, but that is what the old man had to do with Dukakis, remember?"

Keep in mind:

The White House did not dispute the authenticity of the tapes or respond to their contents.
The New York Times hired Tom Owen, an expert on audio authentication, to examine samples from the tapes. He concluded the voice was that of the president.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?