Tuesday, March 08, 2005

 

The 10 Commandments

From the Supreme Court, via www.washingtontimes.com :
"Imagine the Buddhist or Muslim who walks into the Supreme Court. He will realize this is not his government," Mr. Chemerinsky said.
"I thought that Muslims accept the Ten Commandments," Justice Scalia said.
"No, your honor, they don't," Mr. Chemerinsky responded.

The Wash Times being who they are, follow this with
However, in an editorial published yesterday, Arsalan Iftikhar, the national legal director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said, "The Quran, Islam's revealed text, contains injunctions similar to all the commandments."

Some discussion among Muslims are here and here. The argument hinges on the idea that "the Torah, Psalms, and Gospels are considered revelation - hence the term ahl al-kitâb, people of the book, for Jews and Christians." My experiences with Muslims is they view the 10 commandments as part of their religous tradition.

That being said, the point of view of the Buddhist was not addressed. As with Hinduism, Buddhism has no direct expression of the 10 Commandments.
With application of the effort, I am sure I could find in the teachings of the Buddha echos of the 10 Commandments. The point is if I walk in a courtroom and see the commandents mounted, I will not feel comformable. How will I know, if it came up, my religous pratices will not influence the judge.

You know, I doubt I would feel this way if there wasn't such a constant ruckus concerning the rightiousness of the evangelical viewpoint. Too many people take too literal a reading of the bible and at the same want so much to have everyone agree with them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?