Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Minnesota GOP collecting and making public personal data
- Republican Party is mailing a CD with a Flash application content to voters in certain districts in Minnesota;
- The CD comes with an access code;
- CD is labeled as "interactive in nature";
- you tell the program things like your private phone number, your address, your name, your spouse's name and your views on political views;
- Q: Are the results identified by access code and reported back to the GOP?
- Decompile the reporting stream and find what is being sent back, and where it is going;
- The data is being aggregated and mined;
- The data is not secured at the destination website;
- "This is a security breach of major proportions. And it's coming to [mailboxes in Minnesota] in a few days."
- Minnesota Public Radio, Decipering the code
- Minnesota Public Radio, The GOP CD
- Minnesota Public Radio, GOP CD accumulates data, but data is not secured
- ThinkProgress, The Minnesota GOP’s Stealth Attack On Privacy
- Slashdot, Minnesota GOP's CD Raises Privacy Concerns
Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.