Monday, May 01, 2006

 

Gen Powell (Ret.) on Iraq invasion troop levels

From the AP, Powell Says He Urged More Troops for Iraq:
"I made the case to Gen. Franks and Secretary Rumsfeld before the president that I was not sure we had enough troops. The case was made, it was listened to, it was considered. ... A judgment was made by those responsible that the troop strength was adequate.

"The president's military advisers felt that the size of the force was adequate, they may still feel that years later. Some of us don't, I don't. In my perspective, I would have preferred more troops but you know, this conflict is not over.

"At the time the president was listening to those who were supposed to be providing him with military advice. They were anticipating a different kind of immediate aftermath of the fall of Baghdad, it turned out to be not exactly as they had anticipated."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?