Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Being a Scientist First, a Woman Second

From her column in Newsweek, 'This Topic Annoys Me':
By Janna Levin
I don't ever want to talk about being a woman scientist again. There was a time in my life when I was fixated on the subject. People asked constantly for stories about what it's like to work in a field dominated by men. I was never very good at telling those stories because truthfully I never found them interesting. What I do find interesting is the origin of the universe, the shape of space-time and the nature of black holes...

Why should curing sexism be yet another terrible burden on every female scientist? After all, I don't study sociology or political theory. I study the history of the cosmos written in the laws of physics. That's a story I tell pretty well.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?